Floyd’s Barbershop Bulletin Board & Event Calendar
The Andy Griffith Museum, featuring the late Emmett Forrest’s amazing collection of Andy Griffith artifacts, is operating on its full, normal schedule. For complete updates on operating hours and other info, visit the website at AndyGriffithMuseum.org or call (336) 786-1604.
Here are upcoming events that folks have posted on Floyd’s bulletin board:
* Feb. 3 & 4: Clint Howard and Margaret Kerry are among about 100 celebrities who will be greeting fans at the Hollywood Show at the Los Angeles Marriott Burbank Airport Hotel in Burbank, Calif. For more info, visit www.hollywoodshow.com.
* Mar. 2-4: 26th Annual George Lindsey UNA Film Festival in Florence, Ala. Details TBA. For more info, visit www.lindseyfilmfest.com.
* Mar. 26: Karen Knotts performs stand-up comedy and signs her memoirs at the 6th Annual Sunny Side Up International Film Festival at the Coleman Theatre in Miami, Okla. Showtime is 6 p.m., and advance tickets are $10 online ($2 more at the door). There is separate admission for other parts of the film festival, including the awards show, also hosted by Karen, and there are passes for sale that include Karen’s show and parts of the festival. For more info, visit www.sunnysideupfilmfestival.com.
* Apr. 14 & 15: Mayberry & I Love Lucy Day in Historic Granville, Tenn. (aka the Mayberry of Tennessee). On Saturday, Granville will be hosting the 2023 Mayberry Squad Car Nationals as part of the event. Special Guest: Dixie Griffith (Andy’s daughter and tribute artist for Fun Girl Skippy). Dixie will do a presentation about her legendary father.
Other highlights include Mayberry and Lucy tribute artists, Mayberry Dinner Theater, Mayberry-Lucy parade, Mayberry trivia contest, Mayberry look-alike contest, Mayberry Museum exhibits.Darlings-style music, and screenings of the Mayberry Man movie. Admission is $5 each day (and $5 parking For additional details check the GranvilleTN.com website for the event. (And check out Historic Granville on Facebook.)
* Apr. 27-30: Margaret Kerry (Bess Muggins and Helen Scobey) is among the many special guests for the Missouri Cherry Blossom Festival in Marshfield, Mo.or more info, visit the festival’s page on Facebook or their web page at: www.cherryblossomfest.com.
* May 3-5: The Mayberry Retreat in Berea, Ky., will be a gathering of discerning fans of The Andy Griffith Show with special guest LeRoy “Mack” McNees. The retreat will be held at the beautiful and historic Boone Tavern Hotel and is hosted by Randy Turner who is the author of Mayberry Firsts, 60 Years of Mayberry, and others. For details check The Mayberry Retreat website.
* May 6: The 35th Annual Uncle Jesse’s Big Bass Classic, the legendary fishing tournament founded by Denver Pyle as a fundraiser for Denver Pyle’s Children’s Charities, will be held at Pat Mayse Lake in Texas. For more info, visit the tourney’s Facebook page or email organizers at email@example.com.
* May 6: Memories of Mayberry festival cranks up in Valley Head, Ala. Allan “Floyd” Newsome and Andy “Barney” Woods are among the entertainers for the full day (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.) of fun for the whole family.
There will be a cruise-in, food vendors, live entertainment, door prizes, and more. Characters, decor, and themes from Mayberry will be featured. All proceeds benefit the Valley Head Volunteer Fire Department. The festival takes place in the downtown square of Valley Head. For more info, visit www. visitlookoutmountain.com/events/memories-of-mayberry-day.
* June 17: Mayberry 101 author Neal Brower kicks off his summer lecture series about TAGS, starting at 2 p.m., in the Andy Griffith Museum Theatre in Mount Airy, N.C. All three monthly, hour-long lectures this summer will be about an episode featuring a key supporting character.
Today’s lecture features “Hot Rod Otis,” the episode with the fewest characters of any episode in the entire 249 episodes. Lecture admission is included with Museum admission ($8 for adults, $6 for ages 12 and under). Visit www.andygriffithmuseum.org or call (336) 786-1604.
* June 23 and 24: Mayberry Comes to Scottsburg, Ind. After a successful run, Danville, Ind., chose to end their 6-year run of hosting the Mayberry in the Midwest event and other cities in the Hoosier state have been hungry to have Mayberry come back to Indiana.
Mayberry Comes to Scottsburg is the answer to that desire. The festival will feature Mayberry tribute artists and other special guests. Full details TBA, but mark your calendar for what is sure to be a BIG event this summer!
* July 21 & 22: 11th Annual Mayberry Meetup, sponsored by TAGSRWC’s “Two Chairs, No Waiting” podcast, gathers in Mount Airy, N.C. For more info/schedule, visit this link: 11th Annual Mayberry Meetup. Also, please Register so we’ll know who’s attending the event. You can register by visiting this link: Mayberry Meetup 2023 Registration Note: There’s also a Mayberry Bible Study on Sunday morning, the 23rd.
* July 22: Timed to coincide with the Mayberry Meetup, Mayberry 101 author Neal Brower presents the second installment of his summer lecture series about TAGS, starting at 2 p.m., in the Andy Griffith Museum Theatre in Mount Airy, N.C. All three monthly, hour-long lectures this summer are about an episode featuring a key supporting character.
Today’s lecture features “Floyd the Gay Deceiver.” Lecture admission is included with Andy Griffith Museum admission ($8 for adults, $6 for ages 12 and under). Visit www.andygriffithmuseum.org or call (336) 786-1604.
* Aug. 19: Mayberry 101 author Neal Brower concludes his summer lecture series about TAGS, starting at 2 p.m., in the Andy Griffith Museum Theatre in Mount Airy, N.C.
Today’s lecture features Jim Nabors in “Gomer the House Guest.” Lecture admission is included with Andy Griffith Museum admission ($8 for adults, $6 for ages 12 and under). Visit www.andygriffithmuseum.org or call (336) 786-1604.
* Sept. 19-24: 34th Annual Mayberry Days® in Mount Airy, N.C. TAGS cast members confirmed so far include Rodney Dillard, who will be performing with his Dillards band, and Keith Thibodeaux (Johnny Paul Jason), who will be performing with his Christian Rock band, David and the Giants.
Other ticketed parts of the festival that are confirmed include: Comedy by John Floyd (aka “the Mouth of Mayberry”), concert by The Embers, Mayberry Days® Golf Tournament (aka The Emmett), Mayberry Days® Dinner & Entertainment, concert by Band of Oz, Michael Hoover’s “Memories of Elvis,” Tim White and Troublesome Hollow’s “Tribute to Mayberry,” concert by The Bellamy Brothers, Professor Brower’s Lecture, and Colonel Tim’s Talent Time.
* Oct. 28-Nov. 2: Cruise to Mayberry 16 sets sail for five days from Charleston, S.C., with ports of call at Half Moon Cay and Nassau, Bahamas, aboard Carnival’s Sunshine. The cruise’s Special Guest will be Joy Ellison (Mary Wiggins and others). “All sail with thee, Miss Mayberry!”
Also on board will be a full crew of Mayberry tribute artists, including Dixie Griffith (Andy’s daughter) as Mt. Pilot Fun Girl Skippy. For more info and to book visit the cruise’s webpage at: AllAboutCruisesNC.net.